Ready to Wise Up? Contact Us Today for Wisdom Teeth Removal in South Park.
By the time we reach our late teens or early twenties, most of us have formed two sets of adult molars. However, there are a third set of molars in the back of the mouth that may or may not emerge. If the teeth lack room to emerge, or are inadequately angled, they are called “impacted” and must be removed. The most common type of impacted wisdom tooth is “mesial”, meaning that the tooth is angled forward toward the front of your mouth.
What Happens if Wisdom Teeth Aren’t Removed?
If impacted wisdom teeth aren’t removed, the patient may develop gum tenderness, swelling, or even severe pain. Even if the teeth do emerge fully or partially, impacted teeth tend to be quite difficult to clean and are therefore susceptible to tooth decay, recurring infections, and gum disease.
How Does My Dentist Know if My Wisdom Teeth are Impacted?
Each patient’s situation is unique. To determine if your wisdom teeth require removal, your dentist will usually take a panoramic X-Ray to identify the angle and position of the teeth. If we do determine that they need to be removed, it is best to have the extraction performed sooner rather than later. That’s because there’s a chance that the teeth’s roots have not yet fully formed, meaning the extraction will be much easier and the recovery time will be much shorter.
Steps in a Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Your dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the tooth and jaw.
- If you are nervous, your dentist may administer “laughing gas” or safely sedate you.
- If the impacted tooth may still be under the gums and imbedded in your jaw bone, your dentist will remove a small portion of the bone.
- To minimize the amount of bone that is removed with the tooth, your dentist will “section” your wisdom tooth so that each piece can be removed through a small opening in the bone (if possible.)
- Once the teeth have been removed and you have regained alertness, your dentist will let you know what to expect and will provide instructions for a comfortable, efficient healing process.
Need Wisdom Teeth Removal in South Charlotte?
If you need wisdom teeth removal in South Park or South Charlotte, 32 Inspired is here to help you every step of the way. Request an appointment with us by calling our office at 704-362-1211, or by filling out our online form!